All

Embsay-with-Eastby History Post – Skipton Road Bridges

Recently at the Wakefield Archives we came across a couple of images from 1752 which show watercolour sketches of the two bridges on the Skipton Road in Embsay.

At the time they were both known as ‘Bow Bridge’, one being ‘Upper’ and one ‘Lower’. They are in a large book that contained pictures of bridges that were seen as important to the economy of the West Riding of Yorkshire. The writing on the images reads:

‘Bow Bridge lower over Embsay Beck in Skipton Parish is built from hewn stone, maintains the Road from Springer of the Arch at west End 279 feet, at the East 135 feet.’

‘Bow Bridge upper over Embsay Beck in Skipton Parish is built of hewn stone, maintains the Cawseyway at the East End from the springing of the arch 210 feet at the West 87 feet.’

Lower Bridge sketch
Upper Bridge sketch

The 1752 picture of the lower bridge is painted from the upstream side, but it is now only possible to see the entire bridge from the downstream side. It is clear that the shape of the bridge parapet has been altered since 1752. It is just possible to make out that the roadway on the bridge was 15 ft wide, and it remains 15ft wide today. When they re-built the parapet is not known, but they appear to have used the original stonework, which is in a style similar to other early 18th century bridges such as Coniston Cold Bridge over the River Aire. The picture of the lower bridge parapet shows how the roadway level has been built-up either side of the arch, reducing the classic ‘bow’ shape which gave the bridge its name.

We can date the existence of a Lower Bow Bridge as early as 1644. The Will of Thomas Bolton, a wealthy farmer from Embsay, mentioned a field called ‘..The Crooke lyinge at the East Side of the further Bowe bridge’.

The painting and description of the upper bridge show some errors. The ‘Causeyway’ (or causeway in modern spelling) is, in reality, on the West side of the bridge, running as far as the stone Cross marker. This causeway runs along the dam of an old water-powered mill which sat just downstream of the bridge. The mill-pond that was held back by this dam was later used for a cotton mill, the site of which is under some of the houses opposite the entrance to Brackenley Lane.  But the Thomas Bolton will proves there was a bridge here in 1644. If there was a ‘further’ bridge then there must have been a second, nearer bridge.

The plan view sketch of the upper bridge also clarifies why the Cavendish Pub is not aligned to the modern road line. The 1752 roadway to the east of the bridge did not follow the ‘straight-through’ of the modern road but was angled more to the south. This corresponds almost exactly with the wall-line of the Cavendish. It is probable that the road performed a ‘double-bend’ to reduce the gradient to ease the work of the horses pulling the wagons up East Lane (something that also happened at the bridge over Rowton Beck in Eastby).

Unfortunately, it is not possible to compare the 1752 sketch with the modern bridge. Recent changes and trees obscure the view of the bridge. But the modern roadway is much wider than the 1752 sketch and the footpaths are built on concrete extensions.

Chris Lunnon. Embsay with Eastby Historical Research Group – August 2022

Categories: All, History Posts