This article is available in audio format, please click on the play icon below to listen.
The modern boundaries for the villages of Embsay with Eastby are simple to follow on an Ordnance Survey map: along the centre of Eller Beck following it around Crookrise to its source on the moor at Yethersgill, between boundary stones across the moor towards Halton East, directly south from a lost boundary stone called Broad Stone to the source of Berry Ground Beck, along the beck almost to Holywell Halt on the railway, then due west to meet Haw Beck, following the beck until it joins Eller Beck. But historically, things have not been so certain.
The earliest reference to a village boundary is in a charter from 1155. When Cecily de Romille (the lady of Skipton Castle) was defining the limits of the land that she was giving to Embsay Priory, the Embsay boundary was mostly described by simply listing the neighbouring villages. However, the western boundary was described as running along the ‘demesne hedge’, (the hedge on the edge of the land owned by the castle). The eastern boundary was described as running along ‘Routandebeck’, generally assumed to be Rowton Beck in Eastby. Both these boundary lines are different to the modern village boundaries.
The demesne hedge separated the priory land (which was agricultural land) from the hunting forest for the castle. At this time a forest was not a dense area of trees, but it defined an area of land, governed by a different set of laws, in which the rich and powerful lords of the castle could hunt wild game. It was therefore very important that the hedge was a strong boundary.
The line of the demesne hedge can still be seen today. It is best seen from the public footpath which runs from Hill Top Farm towards None-go-bye. As you take the stile into the field alongside Hagg Farm, you are crossing a high, old wall built onto a significant bank. This is the location of the ‘demesne hedge’. The wall, although quite old compared with other walls in Embsay, was built to replace the hedge and it continues up the hill until it joins the wall surrounding Embsay Moor. Further remains of the demesne hedge can be seen to the west of Eller Beck as a bank which still runs from the Brackenley Road bridge into Crookrise woods.
We have no description of the village boundaries of Eastby at this time. The earliest mention of Eastby is in 1241 when the village was given to Bolton Priory (the successor to Embsay Priory). Presumably, at the time, the western boundary of Eastby was at Rowton Beck, but the present-day dividing line between Embsay and Eastby is at Prior Sike, an almost lost stream that runs beside the last house on the north side of Kirk Lane, just before the fields. The fields immediately on the Embsay side of Rowton Beck show evidence of early (pre-1350) ridge-and-furrow ploughing, so someone worked the land, but we do not know when the boundary was moved. However, one of the stones built into the moor wall close to the source of Prior’s sike is marked with a carved cross. It is possible that a boundary stone, marked with a cross, stood at Priors Syke, and the boundary marker was broken up and built into the wall as the boundary became less relevant.
The next boundary description we have is from 1579. It described a boundary which is mostly similar to the modern boundary but still follows the line of Cecily de Romille’s ‘demesne hedge’. The 1579 document describes it thus: ‘…mid stream of Eller Beck to the close (field) beneath Hags (Hagg Farm) & up the hags side ‘ until it meets the Crookrise wall.
But by 1760, at the time when Embsay and the Skipton estates were owned by Lord Thanet, an estate map shows that Crookrise was included within the parish lands of Embsay-with-Eastby. This is confirmed by the tithe map drawn in 1847. We have no information as to when Crookrise was transferred to Embsay. But there are possibilities that the transfer righted an ancient wrong. After the Norman Conquest, vast areas of land were confiscated to create hunting forests. All of Embsay and Eastby Moor, Barden Moor and Barden Fell to the east of the River Wharfe were part of such a hunting forest laid out for the Lords of Skipton Castle. It is very likely that Crookrise (probably wooded) was taken from Embsay, with further land from Stirton and Thorlby townships, to create a continuous hunting forest almost to the gates of Skipton Castle. The ‘demesne’ hedge described by Cecily de Romille was constructed to create a boundary to stop villagers and their animals encroaching on her forest. Evidence for pre-Conquest woodland can be found in the name Hagg Farm, which, in the Anglian language, means a farm in a woodland clearing. The wide ridge-and-furrow surrounding the current farm proves the site dates to the medieval period.
So, how old is the boundary? When is it likely to have first been defined? When Embsay is given to Embsay Priory in 1121, it is clear that there was a recognised boundary. The charter defined the Embsay lands as being within the boundaries of the neighbouring villages. No more detail was given because everyone at the time understood the description. There is no evidence that the Normans defined these boundaries, so it is likely that they existed in the pre-Norman or Anglian/Norse period. One definition of the origin of the name Embsay may help. Some think that the name Embsay derives from the Anglian language meaning ‘Embe’s Island’. (Although only separated by water on three sides, maybe the land that belonged to Embe was defined by the watery boundaries). It is therefore likely that the village boundaries have been defined for more than a thousand years.
In a subsequent article I will look at the Embsay and Eastby boundary stones.
If you decide to walk to the locations described, please wear suitable footwear, keep to public footpaths and respect the farmers land over which you walk.


Chris Lunnon, Embsay with Eastby Historical Research Group
Categories: All, History Posts


